Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Book Tagged . . .

I've been book tagged by Linda at The Great Pumpkin, Civitatensis, and Victor at The Files of the Phantom Observer.

1. How many books do you own?
Impossible to count. I'd estimate two or three thousand. I cull them every once in a while, but everytime I go to toss some books, I end up buying more. It's fun to go through them all and rediscover old favourites hiding at the back of the shelves.

2. What was the last book you bought?
Pure Chance - The Memoirs of Dame Felicity Peake, first Director Women's Royal Airforce. Dame Felicity served at Biggin Hill during the Battle of Britain and later at Bomber Command. She was instrumental in ensuring that women in the Services were treated equally with men. I've long been working on a novel, set during WWII and at first I found there to be a derth of information available on the role of women in the Royal Air Force, but have since found many sources. Some are out of print, and I've been able to find them through ebay and Amazon shops. It is astounding to read the accounts of strong women who served their countries during wartime -- pre-women's lib, pre-feminism.

3. What was the last book you read?
Divorcing Marriage -- Dan Cere, Douglas Farrow
This book is a series of essays by educators, politicians, sociologists etc. discussing what the subtitle calls: Unveiling the Dangers in Canadas New Social Experiment
I have read books from the other side as well, like Discerning the Word by Paul Gibson.
As an Anglican, this issue keeps coming to the fore. I think it's important to try to hear both sides.

4. Which 5 books mean a lot to you?
Unlike most people have been tagged, the books that mean the most to me are almost all fiction. These days, I mostly read non-fiction, but the ones I treasure are ones I first read long ago and am now sharing with my kids. And, when I come across an author who can make me laugh, they go in my 'keep pile'

To Kill a Mockingbird - by Harper Lee. I first read this book in grade 8 and I've always loved it.

Anne of Green Gables - L. M. Montgomery.

To Say Nothing of the Dog - by Connie Willis. I've never been a big sci-fi fan, but my daughter bought me this book so I read it. I've ended up buying more of Willis' books because this one was so much fun.

Mere Christianity - C. S. Lewis. I read this in highschool, and it gave me the best non-biblical understanding of Christianity that I've ever read.

C.S. Lewis: Always a Poet - The Rev. Dr. Roland M. Kawano. Father Kawano, an Anglican Priest in Toronto, is a friend. He allowed me to follow the process from manuscript to publication. It was an interesting journey.

5. Can you tag 5 more victims--er, interested bloggers?
I've picked six. Five amongst bloggers, one from Livejournal:
Elizabeth at purplefeltangel
Les at Spiderman's Web
Michael at
The Blue Maple Leaf
Jason at
Reasonable and Right
49erDweet at
Minding the Gap
Charles at
Peg City Kid

canadianna

1 comment:

Linda said...

I enjoyed reading your list, Canadi-anna. And boy, it sounds like it'd be a real treat to browse through your personal library! All the best with your novel.